TGI student manual
Welcome to The Genomics Institute in UNIST!!!
- 1 Vision
- 2 Mission / Goal
- 3 Roles
- 4 Principles & Rules
- 5 Internship
- 6 Attitude
- 7 Administration
- 8 Bioinformatics Manual
- Curing Cancer : By 2022
- Curing Aging : By 2042
- New evolution theory
Mission / Goal
|Human Genomics||Genomics Infrastructure||Non-Human Genomics|
For anti-disease and anti-aging
Principles & Rules
10 Stepwise guide for Internship
- Ensure what your purpose is for your internship during lab research and make a plan for that specifically
- Design experiments with the professor/researchers ahead of anything
- Keep consistent reports and take feedback from the Professor, mentor, and other colleagues
- Produce experiment hypotheses and achievement goals
- Make time plan (schedule) for the experiments (projects) and get approval from the professor/senior researchers.
- Do weekly presentations.
- Write a research diary and evaluate yourself as frequently as possible
- Communicate as often as possible.
- Use English whenever possible.
- Write paper (or paper draft) as the final report.
There are five criteria for evaluation. Achivement(30), Attitude(20), Attendance(20), Knowledge(20) and Teamwork(10).
- Achivement - First, you should set up your goal, when you start intership. If you achieve your goal, then 30 points. But if not, 20 points.
- Attitude - If you feel happy after internship, then 20 points. But if not, 10 point.
- Attendance - Start from 20 points. If you don't attend Lab meeting or discussion, 1point will be deducted.
- Knowledge - Start from 10 points. If you read scientific paper or are able to use Bioinformatics program, you can get 1 point / each paper or program.
- Teamwork - Start from 10 points. If you make communication troubles, it will be depucted up to 5 points per each case.
- Independent and Critical Thinking
- Precise understanding on the rules that are based on constitution and loyalty to the nation
- Understanding and Philosophical thoughts on Scienctific research
- Passion in studying Life
- Confidence in solving problems
- Every Friday 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Undergraduate student weekly discussion session
Every Friday 4:00 PM
- We are sharing discussion materials on Google drive and Biodisk. Please ask to Sungwon Jeon.
Undergrad mailing list
Bioinformatics programs are working on Linux server (Hawk : 24core, 64GB Memory, 22TB Storage )
<iframe height="344" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/womKfikWlxM " frameborder="0" width="425" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Illumina paired-end sequencing thchnology
Because we use Linux sever, you need to know basic Command Line Usage in Linux sever. We have Hawk server for students. To make your sever account, Please ask to Sungwon Jeon.
A family of high level, general-pupose, interpreted dynamic programming laguages.
Bioperl is a collection of Perl modules that facilitate the development of Perl scripts for bioinformatics application.
For Beginners : HOWTO:Beginners
Bioinformatics File format
Fasta / Fastaq
SAM / BAM
NGS QC Toolkit
NGS QC Toolkit is program that control the quality of NGS data
Burrows-Wheeler Aligner(BWA) is a software package for mapping low-divergent sequences against a large reference genome.
SAMtools is a set of utilities for interacting with post-processing short DNA sequence read alignments in the SAM, BAM format.
The Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software is developed for comparative analyses of DNA and protein sequences that are aimed at inferring the molecular evolutionary patterns of genes, genomes, and species over time (Kumar et al. 1994; Tamura et al. 2011).